Tuesday, November 22, 2011
My Bunny Life
A portion of my life here in Uganda was based on my responsibility to the rabbits. It was a surprising experience with my rabbits because we did not expect them. The day we got the rabbits was like any other day. We woke up and got dressed, brushed our teeth, and made our beds. Then we went to the Hollenbeck’s house to play for the day while my mom had girls over to talk about God. When we got home, I saw my friend Judah waiting for our sleepover. That is when the surprise came.
One of my mom’s friends named Jane had brought two little bunnies to my house. My brother and I both were very surprised and excited, until we found out about cleaning. My dad however felt the opposite. My father did not like the rabbits. The kennel in our backyard was a great home for the bunnies or so we thought.
The next morning we ran to the kennel as fast as cheetahs. When we arrived the rabbits were gone! They had squeezed out of the holes in the fence around the kennel. We looked all morning and even into the afternoon. Just as we were about to give up, from the corner of my eye I saw a little white bunny. I picked up the bunny and went inside. Then a few hours later Judah found Dade’s.
Once Judah left, Dade and I named our bunnies. I named mine Snowball, and Dade named his Zippy. My parents came home and put chicken wire around the kennel so they could not escape. It was the best day ever!!!!!
A few months later my little Snowball was killed by the dogs. The next day Zippy escaped but we found her. Zippy escaped 3 times. Then on the third time she got caught by the dogs.
Thankfully we saved her. The best part was she did not die. After she kept escaping we decided to get another rabbit.
We thought it was a Zoey, but it later became an Alex. We had to give him away which was really sad. Though the sadness cleared when Zippy had 6 babies.
They were really cute. They started growing up very fast. Then they got warbles which come from poop. It made me cry. My mom and dad really helped though. My mom helped with the worms, and my dad helped with the cleaning up. I was really happy about that so that I did not have to.
Somehow my parents convinced us to give them away. I wish we could have kept 1 baby each. It was a really sad day for me and Dade.
Even though the rabbits are gone we still have many memories. A lot of the memories are good but some are not. For instance I do not miss giving them shots. Dade, like all of us, does not miss cleaning them. All of my dad’s memories, except for holding the babies, are negative. He had those memories because he mostly helped us clean them.
One of my favorite memories was having 6 baby rabbits.
One of Dade’s favorite memories was the rabbit Olympics.
We had dancing, jumping and running contests. Dade and I miss the rabbits. Dade said, “I want them back. They were my little cute friends.” That made my heart jump for joy because I miss the rabbits too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love hearing about your rabbits. My dad tried raising rabbits when I was in 7th grade. We had 6,000 rabbits!!!! They were a lot of work. In the winter when the water system froze solid we would have to take bowls of water to each rabbit to drink!!! It was crazy! I think I would rather just have two as pets.
ReplyDeleteLove ya'll
Ginger